Georgia DUI Probation

Georgia DUI Probation

A DUI conviction in the state of Georgia carries many penalties. From a mandatory 24-hour minimum jail sentence to community service, the punishments are severe even if this is your first offense. Included in the long list of DUI penalties is probation. If the judge imposes probation on you, it will be necessary for you to meet with an assigned probation officer on designated dates at a specific time. Failure to meet with your probation officer and comply with the terms set by the judge will result in a number of severe penalties. These may include a longer probation period, expensive fines and a jail sentence. You may also face these penalties for committing any crime during your probationary term.

If this is your first DUI offense, the judge may sentence you to 12 months of probation. However, it really depends on the circumstances surrounding your case. For instance, if you had prior DUI convictions, your probation period would be longer than for someone who is a first offender. During this time, you must report to your probation officer so that he or she can determine whether or not you are meeting the conditions of your probation. Your probation officer will be responsible for ensuring that you are attending alcohol treatment sessions and any alcohol education classes, such as DUI school. He or she will also review your vehicle restrictions and confirm that you are receiving alcohol counseling as per your sentencing.

In addition to probation, another penalty you may face is the suspension of your driver’s license for up to one year by the DMV or the DUI court. However, it is possible that you may be issued a temporary driver’s license in order to transport yourself to important events such as your job, school or meetings with your probation officer.

As you can see, even a first offense DUI equates to severe penalties. So if you have been arrested, you must immediately contact a Georgia DUI defense attorney. Your lawyer will review your case and seek for ways to have your charge reduced to a less serious offense or dismissed altogether.

Get a Free Case Evaluation Right Now!